The holidays are finally here. That means bringing out the decorations to deck the halls! While it looks pretty and sparkly, some of the most common holiday decorations can wreak havoc on our Irresistible Pets.
Take a look at the following tips to keep your best friends safe this holiday season.
I prefer a fake tree so that we can bypass these dangers all together. Especially with Chuy Chihuahua, who is only a year old and still learning. A fake Christmas tree doesn’t shed or need water. Both of which can be dangerous to our pets.
Going for a real tree this year?
It’s important to keep the tree stand covered with a decorative skirt. You should also use some treats to train your furry friend to keep away from the entire area. Pine needles and tree water can be dangerous. Dogs and Cats will try to eat anything and the needles can get stuck in their throat. They need to drink from their own water bowl! That tree water can carry bacteria causing diarrhea, vomiting, and a loss of appetite. Make sure their water bowl is accessible to prevent slurps from the tree water!
Animals love wrapping paper. I suppose it’s the shine or the crinkling sound that it makes. Keep it away from your pets! They could choke on the paper if it gets stuck in their throat. If you have a chewer, keep the presents out of reach until Christmas day.
Keep it Fake – Plants
All the wonderful holiday plants can be lethal to your favorite friend. I recommend getting fake versions of your favorite plants/greenery. But, you like the smell of fresh plants? There are a variety of wall plug-ins that give off the same odor. Even pine! Opt for faux versions of Mistletoe, Holly, Poinsettias, and Ivy. Want to keep the plants outside? You can also make these easy DIY Holiday Planters for your front porch.
Make sure that any exposed electrical cords are taped or hidden (safely) to avoid biting and chewing.
Sweet Stuff – For Humans Only!
Always keep sweets and other irresistible goodies up high or stored where your pets can’t get to them. It’s important to keep them busy with bones, toys, and their favorite treats. This will help keep their mind away from your sweet treats!
Chocolate Can Be Fatal
If you suspect your dog has ingested something bad, call your vet ASAP or the local Animal Poison Control. They saved the day when Chuy accidentally ate a piece of chocolate chip cookie cake!!
Burrr, It’s Freezing!
It’s getting cold outside and we have to take drastic measures to keep warm. I want to highlight an outside danger that many of us forget about.
Antifreeze is Lethal
Automotive antifreeze contains ethylene glycol, which causes rapid and permanent kidney damage to your companion animal if it ingests even a very small amount. It takes only 6 milliliters or less than 1/4 ounce of antifreeze to kill an average-sized cat. A cat can walk through an antifreeze puddle and ingest it while cleaning its paws. For a dog, it takes only 60 milliliters or about 2 ounces of antifreeze to kill a 30-pound pup. A dog could ingest this much with a few laps out of an open container or from a puddle on the garage floor.
Remember, as responsible pet owners it’s our job to make sure they stay away from these types of dangers. Like I’ve mentioned before, I crate Chuy when we are not home. It’s for his safety. There are too many dangers he could get into when we are gone. Especially, during the holidays.
Have a safe and merry Christmas!