Yesterday (6/22/11) was Chuy Chihuahua’s 2nd birthday! Wow, time has really flown by. It seems like just yesterday when we first fell in love with him and brought him into our lives. We love him so much and he is truly part of the family and not just a dog.
I wanted to do something special to help celebrate! What better for a dog’s birthday than something food related, right?! I couldn’t find any dog friendly bakeries in town, so I took matters into my own hands. I don’t even bake for my husband and I…I hate cooking! So, this is a big deal Chuy! I reccommend making this in a bone shaped cake panSeasonal & Novelty Cake Pans), like this one:
We didn’t have one and couldn’t find one anywhere locally! I would order it online so you don’t end up in the same predicament as me. I ended up using a regular cake pan and put a bone on top with a bone shaped cookie cutter
Here’s a step by step tutorial on how to make a dog friendly cake for your irresistible pet. For more recipes like this, check out our Ultimate Guide to Dog Birthday Cake Recipes.
Ingredients Needed to Bake a Dog Cake
- 1 cup non-bleached flour (white or whole wheat)
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 cup peanut butter
- 1/4 cup Vegetable Oil
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 1/3 cup Honey
- 1 Egg
- Optional: Carrott Shavings or Your Dog’s Favorite Treats
How to Bake a Dog Friendly Cake
1. Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C)
2. Mix together flour and baking soda.
3. Add remaining ingredients and mix well.
4. Spray the cake pan with a nonstick spray.
5. Pour the mixture into a cake pan of your choice. I recommend making them in a bone shaped cake pan. We couldn’t find one locally so make sure to order online way in advance!
6. Bake for 40 minutes.
7. Allow the cake to cool and add frosting of your choice. You can use peanutbutter or low-fat cottage cheese. Decorate with carrott pieces or your doggies favorite treats!
He loved it!
Share your favorite pet friendly recipies in the comments and let us know how you celebrate your Irresistible Pets birthday!