This DIY Winter Wonderland Diorama is a fun holiday project that you can make by yourself to jazz up your holiday decor or make it a family project that you can do on a cold night in front of the fireplace! I actually made these last year but got so into the holiday spirit that I never posted the tutorial! The good thing is these DIY dioramas can stay out all winter because they aren’t specific to any one holiday. If I can get my hands on some miniature plastic Chihuahuas, Chuy will have his own version of this! Be sure to check out all of our Christmas ideas and inspiration!
On a side note,I did find this Chihuahua Nutcracker at PetSmart during Chuy’s vet appointment last week! I HAD to add him to my holiday collection!
Supplies You Need
- Shadow Box
- Spray Paint
- Scrapbook Paper
- Paper Snowflakes (optional)
- Buffalo Snow Iridescent Flakes or Glitter
- Miniature Reindeer
- Bottle Brush Trees (assorted sizes)
Instructions – How To Make a Winter Wonderland Diorama
1. Start out by spray painting the shadow box. I used American Accents in Heirloom White but you can use any color of your choice.
2. Once the paint has dried, you will need to cut out the scrapbook paper to fit inside the box. The paper will be your background. Since all of my Christmas décor is purple and silver, I selected two different backgrounds for each box that compliment my décor. Use a thin layer of glue to adhere the paper to the box. Allow to dry.
3. This part is optional but it will give your diorama more dimension. I picked up some snowflake table scatter from The Dollar Tree and glued a few snowflakes to my scrapbook paper to give a 3d effect.
4. Arrange the trees and animals on the base of the shadow box and glue them in place.
5. Take the Pollyfill (or you can use stuffing from an old dog toy!) and glue to the base of the shadow box in between any gaps from the trees and animals. This is going to be “snow.”
6. To give a “blingy’” effect to the snow, sprinkle some Buffalo Snow Flakes or glitter on top of the snow.
Tada! That’s it! Your completed Winter Wonderland Diorama should look something like this:
Be sure to check out my DIY Pet Project Gallery for more inspiration and ideas. Happy Holidays!