Chuy’s Diagnosis is Bacterial Dermatitis

February 6, 2014

in Chuy Chihuahua,Health

In December, Chuy was diagnosed with Conjunctivitis, otherwise known as Pink Eye. We noticed that his eyes had been draining with a thick, yellowish color. The vet did a test on Chuy for corneal ulcers, which came back negative so they determined it was pink eye. We were sent home with some eye drops that we had to give him twice a day for two weeks. Let me tell you, that was not fun to do!

Here are some pics of the drainage he had around his eye. This was a few days after starting the drops.

20131216_140430

20131216_140521

During this time, we noticed that a small bump popped up over his eye, which you can sort of see in the pic below. We assumed it was part of the pink eye. Everything seemed to clear up by the end of the two weeks. However, I’m starting to think this was all connected to what’s going on now.

20131216_140448

Just last week, I noticed that he had a new bump over his other eye. There’s also a few patches of missing fur across his face. After a couple of days I noticed that it must have popped because there was dried blood, which you can see in the pic here:

Bacterial Dermatitis Chuy Chihuahua

Chuy didn’t show any signs of discomfort or itching. He seemed perfectly normal, minus the bump and missing fur. I made an appointment with a new vet to see what is going on. We are pretty much over Banfield (where Chuy has gone since he was a puppy), but I’ll save that for another post.

The vet said that it appears Chuy appears to have a case of Canine Bacterial Dermatitis and it probably got infected.

Dermatitis is a general term that refers to inflammation in the skin. In dogs and cats, dermatitis may be caused by yeast or bacterial infections in the skin.

He was given an antibiotic to make sure it kills the source of the bacteria under the skin, which we have to give him twice a day until it runs out. The bump should clear up over the next week and within 2-3 weeks, the fur should start growing back. The vet said that if it doesn’t clear up in a week, then the next step would be a biopsy. However, she doesn’t think this is anything serious because Chuy appears to be extremely healthy.

I’m just thankful that it’s not anything serious and that we’ve now found a really awesome vet that seems to legitimately care about Chuy. I’ll keep you posted on Facebook and Instagram on how Chuy is doing.

Here’s a few more pics of Chuy’s bump that I took while shooting our Be My Green Heart DIY.

Bacterial Dermatitis Diagnosis Chuy Chihuahua

Thanks for all the warm wishes you sent us the past few days!! We really appreciate it! xoxo

1-800-PetMeds RX/300x250.gif

Related posts:

{ 10 comments… read them below or add one }

Amanda February 6, 2014 at 2:26 am

Poor little buddy! Hope he’s back to his old self soon!!!

Dawn February 6, 2014 at 2:50 pm

Poor Chuy. I’m glad he doesn’t have any discomfort and that it isn’t anything serious. I remember when Sephi started having skin problems and it turned out it was related to hypothyroidism. Hypothyroidism in dogs is common and dogs that develop it are more prone to various types of infections because their immune system isn’t working as well. Hypothyroidism is easy to treat so if the antibiotics don’t help, have his thyroid checked out.
Dawn recently posted..Wordless Wednesday – More Snow Than We’ve Ever Experienced

Aimee Beltran February 10, 2014 at 11:40 am

That’s great to know. I never put those two things together. Will definitely take that into consideration if it doesn’t clear up.

Caren Gittleman February 6, 2014 at 3:20 pm

Hoping Chuy feels better soon! My cat, (Cody), has something similar. He has flare-ups EVERY THREE MONTHS. Originally the vet thought it was food allergies, had him on special food for 2 years. He STILL had flare-ups. Now, he is back to mainstream food. The vet feels it is an allergy that is environmental, but we still don’t know the cause. Whenever he has a flare-up he goes on a round of prednisonol (tolerated much better by cats than dogs) and only gets an antibiotic if the flare-up is super bad. Ironically, Cody just began another flare-up today but it was tiny red spots (just beginning) so no antibiotic unless it doesn’t clear up with the prednisonol. Hoping Chuy’s isn’t a recurring thing like Cody’s is.
Caren Gittleman recently posted..“Like Father, like Son” Semi-Wordless Wednesday

Aimee Beltran February 10, 2014 at 11:41 am

Oh wow, that soundsd frustrating, Caren. I hope you are able to pinpoint what is causing this in Cody.

Amelia Hughes February 7, 2014 at 11:14 am

Hope it clears up for the little guy soon and happy to hear it isn’t something more serious!

Aimee Beltran February 7, 2014 at 3:22 pm

Thank you so much!

Amanda Yantos February 7, 2014 at 10:28 pm

I am glad that Chuy isn’t in pain and isn’t showing signs of irritation, that’s good news! Wynston had something similar when I rescued him 2 years ago. Although he was just a puppy, he had similar bumps on his head, above his nose. They never bothered him, and the vet ended up being able to essentially “scrape” them off. He had a bald spot until the fur grew back, but it ended up being an easy fix! I know what you’re going through – prayers for you and Chuy!
Amanda Yantos recently posted..Wynston’s First Day at the Beach

Aimee Beltran February 10, 2014 at 11:38 am

Glad to hear that everything worked out for Wynston. The bump has gone down and he’s looking a lot better! Thank you xoxo

Kimberly Gauthier February 17, 2014 at 11:47 pm

I’m glad that it sounds like this is something that can be cleared up. It sucks to worry about our pups.
Kimberly Gauthier recently posted..Dognition | Starting to Wonder if My Dog Loves Me