We celebrated Chuy’s 5th birthday this past Sunday. I mentioned in my last post that the only dog friendly bakery in our area recently went out of business . . . So I baked Chuy’s birthday cake from scratch this year. It’s definitely not as cute as the birthday cake we ordered last year, but Chuy loved it just the same! For more recipe ideas, visit our Ultimate Guide to Dog Birthday Cake Recipes.
I was inspired by this dog birthday cake recipe from Baked by Joanna and adapted it to my needs. I made this into a layer cake with one 13 inch cake pan, a 6 inch pan, and topped it off with a 4 inch pan.
- 2 Ripe Bananas
- 3 Tbsp Honey
- 1 Egg
- 2 Cups Water
- 3 Cups Whole Wheat Flour
- 1/2 Tbsp Baking Powder
- 1 Cup of Natural Oats
- 1 cup peanut butter
- 1 Tbsp Honey
- Dog Treats of your choice
- Optional: Sprinkles
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and spray your cake pan with a non-stick spray like Pam.
2. In a mixing bowl, combine the bananas, 3 tablespoons honey, egg, and water together. I recommend doing this in a mixer like the Nutri Bullet to make it as easy as possible!
3. Combine the banana mixture with the flour, baking powder and oats and mix together.
4. Pour the batter into the prepared pans.
5. Bake the cake (s) for 1 hour
6. Allow the cake to cool in the pan for 30 minutes before adding the icing.
7. While the cake is cooling, mix the peanut butter and honey together in the Nutri Bullet or mixer.
8. Use a spatula and ice the cake with the peanut butter frosting.You can also apply a few of your dog’s favorite treats as decoration. I picked up these YoPup Stress Less Probiotic Blend Dog Treats from my local PetSmart.
The Completed Birthday Cake Reveal
Once completed and decorated, Chuy’s birthday cake looked like this:
It’s safe to say that Chuy thought the cake was irresistible!
Of course, we didn’t let Chuy eat the entire cake! He got to lick the icing a little bit and then we served him a Chuy sized piece! Trust me, I think he would have tried to eat the entire cake if he could!!
Stay tuned for more pic’s of Chuy’s 5th birthday coming soon!