During the hustle and bustle of the holidays, don’t forget about your pets and their safety. We’ve been in touch with The American Veterinary Medical Association to ask some important questions about holiday pet safety.
Can winter decorations be hazardous to our pets?
Yes. The holidays bring lots of seasonal home decorations, such as candles, decorated trees, and potpourri. Pet owners are urged to make sure pets are not left alone in decorated rooms to avoid potential dangerous situations.
Is it okay to place my holiday plants anywhere around the house?
No. Some holiday favorites such as Mistletoe, Holly, and Lilies are actually harmful to pets. These plants should be kept out of pets’ reach.
Should I be mindful of the excess holiday food in my home?
Yes. One of the main challenges that comes along with the holiday season is the excess of food. It is encouraged that you keep “people food” in places that cannot be accessed by your pets. As your guests if they can do the same.
Can my pet enjoy the same holiday treats that I do?
No. Pet owners are urged to keep human treats away from pets. Specifically treats that contain chocolate, Xylitol, grapes/raisins, onions or other foods that are toxic for pets.
Is tinsel specifically hazardous to cats?
Yes. Tinsel’s shine can easily attract the attention of a curious cat, and there are serious medical consequences if ingested. It is suggested that cat owners leave tinsel off of the tree.
Can pet behavior change among house guests?
Yes. The holidays tend to bring lots of family and friends together in one place. Some pets get scared or excited around crowds or when they see new faces. It’s advised that pets are placed in a separate room while guests are visiting. This can also help with Tips 3 & 4, in keeping your pet away from harmful holiday foods!
For more holiday health tips for your pet, visit www.avma.org