I wanted to make Chuy something special for Valentine’s Day besides the “Be My Green Heart Treats.” I have absolutely no sewing skills even though my Mom is a master quilter/sewer/painter, so I’ll create work around any chance I get! I created these No Sew Heart Pet Toys using just a few supplies and of course a dash of love!
Chuy loves his new heart toy and I hope your Irresistible Pet will too!
Supplies You Need
- Two 9 X 12 inch pieces of Soft Felt (I got mine at AC Moore for 29 cents each)
- Pen or Pencil
- Heart Stencil
- Stuffing (You can use the filling from an old dog toy)
DIY Now Sew Heart Pet Toy Tutorial
1. Take each layer of soft felt and evenly stack them on top of each other.
2. Trace the heart on to the soft felt using a pen or pencil. You can also freehand the heart if you prefer. I used a foam heart that I picked up at AC Moore.
3. Once you have completed tracing the heart, take your scissors and start cutting small strips around the outside of the heart. Don’t cut over the line you traced.
4. While keeping the layers together, tie a double knot in each strip.
5. Keep cutting and tying strips until you have almost the entire heart tied together. You’ll want to leave enough room to stuff the heart.
6. Fill the heart using left over felt pieces or use filling from an old dog toy.
7. Once the heart has been stuffed, continue cutting and tying strips to secure everything in place.
8. Trim the edges as needed.
The Completed Project
The completed project should look something like this:
Chuy Chihuahua Tested and Approved!
Chuy is in love with his new Valentine’s Day No Sew Heart Toy!
Happy Valentine’s Day! How are you spoiling your dog this Valentine’s Day? If you need ideas and inspiration, be sure to check out some of our other Valentine’s Day posts:
- DIY Dog Treat Jars for Valentine’s Day
- Valentine’s Day Pup Cakes
- Valentine’s Day DIY Rope Toy
- Irresistible Finds for Valentine’s Day
- Be My Green Heart Healthy Dog Treat
- Valentine’s Day Pet Safety Tips
Kimberly Gauthier says
I can’t believe how easy this is. I’ll head off to JoAnn Fabric this weekend to get started! Thanks 🙂
Sue at Talking Dogs says
So easy and so cute! Sharing.
I love this! Now we’ll just have to see how long it takes Miss Lana to murder this toy. =)
That’s so cute! I think I’m going to actually make one for my cats and stuff it with something crinkly.
What a great idea!!! I’ve notice felt toys last a little longer with my chewers, so I bet Maya and Pierson will really love something like this. Yes, they will love it. No pun intended. <3
piranha banana says
Beagles and Bargains says
What a fun idea! I bought a bunch of felt awhile ago to make some kind of toy, but haven’t gotten around to it. Thanks for the inspiration!
Nailah Bone says
OMG, absolutely love this idea! 😀 It’s funny, my mom is also a master seamstress but I’m kind of a failure in that department! I recently made a dog training apron and she had to guide me through the whole process. I love that this is so easy!
Ledfoots Pet Bakery says
What a neat idea. We don’t have time or patience to sew over here either. Always baking some healthy dog treats. Thanks for sharing.
Amelia Hughes says
LOVE this! Going to make some for Tater AND for the cats! Thank you for this post on behalf of people like me that can’t sew!
This is so cute and easy! I need to make some.
Irresistible Pets says
Mimi would love it!
Sara @ BestPetReviews says
That is so cute! You could even make that into a little pillow for us humans! The pictures of Chuy are super cute too! Especially the one where he is howling.
Irresistible Pets says
Thanks! Yes, we put one of them on our small couch and it’s really festive.
I like the idea it’s cute and easy, I made one for my cats for Valentines. Thank you.