The goal and mission of my blog is to “teach pet parents how to create an irresistible life with their pets.” Staying in shape and maintaining a healthy weight is a big part of that journey. I’ve battled with weight my entire life and I know how difficult it can be. For me, it’s a daily struggle and a daily decision to make healthy and active choices. Last year, when I realized that Chuy had gained weight, I was mortified and ashamed. How could I have let that happen? Well, it did and we blogged all about his journey throughout the year. The good news is that it IS possible to get your dog back to a healthy weight!
In 2015, that
journey lifestyle continues. I’m happy and proud to say that Chuy has maintained his weight loss and is doing great! We just had a vet checkup last week and he’s healthy and maintaining his weight at 10 lbs. Even though it was only about 3 lbs that he gained and lost, it can really make a difference with a small breed like a Chihuahua.
I’ve also lost 30 lbs since last year and I’m continuing to lose more weight and finally make healthy living part of my daily life. Make a resolution to start living an irresistible life with your pet, starting with these 5 tips you can implement today!
1. Make an appointment ASAP with your vet for a checkup. Your vet will work with you to determine a healthy weight and plan for your pet.
2. Determine how much food your dog needs and portion out their meals accordingly.
3. Spend at least 20-30 minutes per day doing something active with your dog such as walking or playing fetch inside the house. I’ve started tracking Chuy’s activity with a StarWalk Activity Tracker. It’s like a FitBit for dogs!
4. Cut out all table scraps ASAP! These can really add up and cause your dog to rapidly gain weight.
5. Commit to a healthy lifestyle together to give your dog the best life possible!
Now, I invite you to check out some other posts I’ve written about dog weight loss to help you start living an irresistible life!
Chuy’s Weight Loss Journey
- How My Binge Eating Disorder Made My Dog Fat
- How Chuy Chihuahua is Losing Weight
- Five Tips for Dog Weight Loss
- Chuy’s Journey to an Irresistible Life in Photos
- Chuy Chihuahua’s Weight Loss Transformation
Exercise Ideas and Resources for Dogs
- Glow in the Dark Toys for Busy Pet Parents
- How To Stay Organized on Dog Walks
- Five Irresistible Dog Walking Essentials
Healthy Dog Treat Recipes
Join Us at the BlogPaws Twitter Chat!
On Tuesday, January 13th, Hill’s is hosting a Twitter Chat with BlogPaws from 8pm – 10pm EST. I will be there along with lots of other pet bloggers and pet parents alike. Join us to chat about “Healthy Weight and Staying Fit.” There will also be some prizes to giveaway! All you have to do is follow the hashtag #BlogPawsChat on Twitter. I use TweetChat to follow along with the conversation.