Chuy and I are both on a quest to a new healthy lifestyle in 2014. We are working on losing weight, eating right, and getting in more exercise. Something that I started doing last year was incorporating a healthy green smoothie into my daily diet. This is a great way to stay full, get all of your nutrients, and the taste is pretty irresistible! The best part is you can share part of your healthy green smoothie with your dog as it has added health benefits for them too! You can also use this same recipe to make frozen dog treats!
Healthy Green Smoothie 101
One of the things I love about making green smoothies is getting creative with different types of recipes. Even though they are green, you can’t taste the spinach because of the fruit. Since I do Weight Watchers, one healthy green smoothie gets in ALL of my daily required fruits and vegetables! You can pretty much make a smoothie with any ingredients you would like as long as you follow this ratio:
- 50% leafy greens such as Kale or Spinach
- 50% fruits of your choice
- Mix with water and/or ice
- Add a small amount of nuts or seeds if desired
I recommend checking with your veterinarian before you give your dog a new treat. Here are some common Healthy Green Smoothie ingredients and the health benefits for you and your dog:
- Spinach contains flavonoids and carotenoids that have anti-inflammatory and anti-cancer properties to benefit your dog’s health.
- Strawberries & Blueberries are a nutritional powerhouse for both you and your dog. Keep a bag of frozen strawberries in your freezer to make smoothies for yourself, and you’ll also have a crunchy snack on hand for man’s best friend. Just don’t feed unlimited amounts, because even though the sugar in strawberries is natural sugar, too much can be bad news.
- Bananas have loads of amino acids, electrolytes, minerals, vitamins B6 and C, potassium, fiber and manganese. Bananas, just like berries, have sugar, so be sure to balance it out with exercise and don’t overfeed!
Irresistible Healthy Green Smoothie Recipe for You and Your Dog
Supplies You Need
- I highly recommend investing in a Nutri Bullet if you plan on making a lot of green smoothies. It’s so simple to use and can also be used to create soups and sauces. Plus, if you are on the go, you can snap on a lid and take the shaker with you!
Ingredients You Need
- 2 cups of baby spinach leaves
- 1 cup of strawberries
- 1 banana
- This recipe makes enough for one tall glass for you and one small bowl for your pup!
1. Take a knife and cut the banana and strawberries into smaller pieces.
2. Combine all of the ingredients (including water) in your Nutri Bullet or blender.
3. Pour a green smoothie into a glass for you (don’t forget a fancy straw so you don’t mess up your lip gloss!)
I typically drink my green smoothie early in the morning while I’m getting ready for work . . . hence the wet hair and zebra robe! If I don’t drink one in the morning, I usually have it before or after a workout.
4. Pour the remaining mixture into a small bowl for your Irresistible Pet!
Chuy Chihuahua Thinks Green Smoothies are Irresistible!
I love that I can make this as a treat for Chuy and there’s no additives, preservatives, or anything processed about it! I can trust that he is getting something pure and healthy to help with his weight loss plan. Oh and Chuy absolutely finds these green smoothie treats irresistible!
All treats and recipes featured on Irresistible pets have been created by myself and tested only on my dog, Chuy which means they may or may not work the same for your pet. Treats should not replace your dog’s regular diet. Always check with your vet when adding anything new to their diet.
Have you ever tried a Healthy Green Smoothie? If so, please leave a comment below or leave any questions you might have.