|Visitation time with Chuy. Look at his little IV 🙁|
When I went to see Chuy on Friday morning, they wanted to run an ultrasound on him to see what was going on in his tummy. The ultrasound showed a little food/water backed up in his stomach and intestines. The vet said this could be 1 of 3 reasons:
- A foreign body. Although, nothing showed this on the x-ray or ultrasound. It’s possible there can still be something in there.
- Pancreatitis. He was tested for this already and the results were negative.
- Inflammation. Due to allergies, etc.
He then gave us 3 options for Chuy:
- Supportive Care & Time. Chuy would need to stay overnight to receive meds via IV to see if his condition improved and the “gunk” passed through his stomach.
- Scope. Since the prior tests didn’t show why he wasn’t passing the gunk, they said a scope was the only way to really see inside.
- Exploratory Surgery. A last resort if the scope didn’t work.
|Chuy with his Neena at the ER.|
What Did I Decide?
Option 1 of course! I wanted to give him time to at least try to recover before putting him under.
Chuy the Chihuahua was released from the veterinary hospital on Saturday morning. They said he had stopped throwing up and was eating normally. All good signs that the blockage was passing.
Chuy is not an aggressive dog but the vets said he become aggressive Friday night and he needed a slight sedative. He must have been terrified in there. Poor Baby!
He has to take Pepcid AC (1/4 of a pill) daily for the next few days. He is also still on the RX diet of ID.
He has been doing really well at home. We are keeping a close eye on him in case anything changes. However, Chuy seems to be back to normal and we are so thankful for that.
|Home Sweet Home. Chuy the Chihuahua resting at home. Finally!|
It was a really scary couple of days. Pets are a lifelong commitment and it’s our job to be there for them. Make sure to take a few extra minutes with your Irresistible Pet today 😉
Stay safe & Happy Holidays!